Saturday, February 03, 2007

Mad Blunted Jazz -- DJ Cam

In the mood for some deep listening? Here’s a tip based on experiential data – MAD BLUNTED JAZZ -- compiled by DJCAM, aka Laurent Doumail.

I really can’t remember when, where, or how I became interested in this particular CD and a double CD at that; but I do remember ordering via amazon.com and being informed that the shipment would be delayed for nearly 5 months, before finally being informed it was out of stock -- but through the magic of technology I was referred to an independent dealer.

A month later I received an email inquiring how I enjoyed a CD, which I still hadn’t received, prompting my anxiety factor to increase. A month later I received the CD and the first time I had an opportunity to check it out, my first thought was “this was indeed worth the wait.”

From the “Hip Hop Opera” and “Gansta Shit” with lyrics like “6 million ways to die, choose 1” giving way to the blending beats of vibes blending beats to “Underground Vibes” and “Pure Pleasure,” the sounds are pure mellow chill mixed with attitude.

For the first person who shows an interest, I’ll burn you a copy. While I have certain track preferences and criticisms of others, I’ll keep those to myself – don’t want to impose my subjectivity -- but I will mention of the two discs, the first CD is pure groove.

--John Pagoda

Available from Shadow Records

No comments: